Saturday, April 19, 2008

Kai's First Birthday!

It was quite a party! Seventeen of us managed to fit into our dining room and living room to celebrate Malachi's first birthday. We had a wonderful time.

I made Malachi's cake from scratch. I know. I know. Many of you thought I had probably forgotten how to bake! This cake was chocolate and decorated with colors from the Ethiopian flag. I made carrot cake cupcakes for Malachi. My mom made her Blue Ribbon (2007 Shippensburg Fair) chocolate chip cookies and congo bars. Both mom and dad were a HUGE help in pulling this party off (in a clean house!). After making a mess of his cupcake (and of course not eating any of it), he had a little juice and fell fast asleep right in his highchair. My poor little man was pooped from all the excitement of our friends being there and playing with other little ones--Hannah, Gavin, and Tyler. Very understandable. He slept for the next hour and forty-five minutes. Oh well, it's his party and he'll sleep if he wants to! :)
So after the long, overdue nap, he had a lot of fun with the ribbon and wrapping paper on this present from Tim, Debbie, and Tyler.
After dinner for Malachi (no cupcakes this time) and a subsequent clothing change, we continued to open presents with the family. Of course, if we had turned the fan on earlier in the season, we all would have realized he doesn't need any toys. A ceiling fan will do!
Great Pa (Mel's grandfather) made a special edition train for Malachi--the Kai Express! Very cute, and very special.

4 comments:

shelly said...

love the cake and the train

Livia said...

Happy Birthday Kai! I look forward to meeting you soon!

Renee said...

Happy first birthday to Kai- he is adorable!!

LISA said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAI!!! ( I Love the way you're doing his name!)
Wish I'd seen this post earlier.
I usually check blogs at work,but the "other" girl got terminated.I'm really busy at work now.